Going the Distance: How to Deal with Long Distance Relationships
There many couples here in Singapore who are dealing with long distance relationships. Being a part of this kind of relationship is tough and challenging but surviving is possibly if we are just in one country. As much as possible we do not want to be parted from our loved one but our work and career demand it. For the sake of the future, we have to deal with it.
We hear different long distance relationship stories – some succeeded and thrived, some failed and broken. At the end of the day, everything will be up to us. The distance will really put a strain on our relationship and it really sucks. However, if we are in Singapore, there are chances that we can make this work.
Unless we plan to get married soon and let the other move to our place, we have to know different ideas to strengthen and make the relationship solid. Here are some tips that we can consider when we are in a long distance relationship:
- We are not the first: We have to understand that long distance relationship is common and we are not the first. Many couples actually experience it and it worked. This perspective is right so we will not strain or pressure ourselves.
- Use our advantages: If we were born fifty years ago, maintaining a long distance relationship is hard but we are living where technology abounds – we have to use it to our advantage. Video chatting, calling and texting are common these days.
- Do not over-think: It is natural if we feel paranoid from time to time but if it happens most of the time, we have to step back and not over-think it. If we trust our loved one, our peace of mind should go with them. Instead of being happy with him/her, we are constantly worried and bothered which are not good combinations in the relationship.
- Assert but not aggress: Fights are inevitable. A relationship without a fight is somehow weird. Arguments every now and then are common and it could be anything. When arguments come, we have to be assertive but not aggress and look for trouble or fight.
- Do not under-think: It is not good if we are like the clingy koala but it would be worst if we are under-clingy. This means that we are only serious when the other is talking to us but when they are not, we live our lives without thinking of them. Under-clinging can spell trouble. So, to show that we are not under-clingy, little acts of love will be appreciated like sending of flowers every now and then.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.